304 North Cardinal St.
Dorchester Center, MA 02124
The cult classic from 2001 Blade of Darkness got a surprise Switch port, suggesting that additional ports may be on the way.
The dark fantasy action game Blade of Darkness is now available for Switch, via eShop.
Blade of Darkness was previously re-released for Windows PC via both Steam and GOG.com in October 2021. The game was originally released back in 2001 for Microsoft Windows by Codemasters and Rebel Act Studios, and has never been ported since.
Here is an overview of the game:
Blade of Darkness
A grim new threat looms over The Central Kingdoms. The borders protected by the fierce King’s Knights are no longer secure. The fearsome orc clans, more numerous than ever before, lurk on every road. The proud nomads of the steppes are on alert, for strange animals roam the darkness. Not even the powerful dwarves, hidden in their underground palaces, seem safe from threats – from the unknown tunnels of its mines, a vile army of abominable creatures advances relentlessly.
Chaos grips the world. Only the memory of the Elder recalls the exploits of a hero and a few warriors who in other times fought against the forces of chaos. Ianna, the mother of all living beings, gave the hero a powerful sword to enter the abyss and defeat evil. But that happened a long time ago. A new hero is needed, a chosen one worthy to swing the sword and destroy the enemy… this time for good.
- FOUR PLAYABLE CHARACTERS – Choose your Champion by Ianna – Tukaram, the Barbarian; Naglfar, the Dwarf; Sargon, the Knight; or Zoe, the Amazon – each with unique strengths, weaknesses and combat skills as you hack and slash your way through a bloody mission to save the world from the forces of chaos.
- BLOODY & GORY KOMBAT – Learn devastating combo attacks and use them to shred your opponents. Hack off your enemies limbs and then use them as weapons!
- A DETAILED DARK FANTASY WORLD – Battle orcs, trolls, golems, demons, skeletons and dozens of malevolent enemy creatures as you explore treacherous tombs, frozen fortresses, demon spiers, deserts, temples and palaces.
- INTERACTIVE ENVIRONMENTS – Destroy in-game objects with fire or your fists as you solve puzzles and disarm traps that combine physics, hydraulic systems and deadly traps!
- RE-RELEASE OF A TRUE GENRE-DEFINING GAME – We are delighted to bring back to life Blade of Darkness, an enduring classic that at the time of its release inspired many games in the action-adventure genre through its approach to combat. With this edition, we’ve reengineered the game to run on modern PC hardware, added widescreen support up to 4K resolution, introduced new display settings, and improved its overall stability. At the same time, the gameplay, content and story are untouched – with all the game’s quirks and charms.